Thursday, June 4, 2009

Feature Story Idea

My feature story will be an extension of my first original reporting blog post.  I would like to do a more in-depth story on either The Walters Art Museum or The Baltimore Museum of Art.  I have contacted the head of volunteer coordination at The Walters Art Museum, though I prefer more contemporary art that can be found at The Baltimore Museum of Art.  I am a big fan of artists like Wassily Kandinsky, Jackson Pollock and Jean-Michel Basquiat.  I find surrealist art to be some of the most interesting art, as it is open to interpretation and individual judgment.  

As I discussed in my previous blog post, I believe that having these masterpieces available to us is quite a gift.  We have the ability to view these markers of history as they were meant to be seen, not to mention the close proximity and the free admission.

If you are interested in photography, as I am an avid photographer, you will be happy to learn that photography is permitted inside the museum, though tripods cannot be used and video cannot be recorded.  Aside from photographing the displayed paintings, it is often very interesting to observe people as they are viewing paintings.  Watching someone study something intently and being able to tell that they are analyzing it thoroughly can be very entertaining and even intense to watch.  

No comments: