Friday, September 5, 2008

The Start of The Beginning

This will be the first time I have published anything online, or anywhere for that matter.  I don't know why, but starting this blog has made me excited, like the feeling you get when you find money in your pocket; not enough to buy anything but just a few dollars that you didn't know you had.  I guess it's just the thought of having my ideas in a place where there is a chance they may be read by others, and if I'm really lucky, relatable, helpful or at least enjoyable.

I'm not really sure how to start this, so here goes...I'm a Taurus, I enjoy long, moonlit walks on the beach, I...wait, that's not right.  I'm a 22 year old student at Towson University and I'd have to get back to you on whether I'm a junior or senior, as I am unsure myself.  

This is my second semester at Towson, having transferred from Harford Community College after getting my associate's degree.  I have realized that here you have to sign up for classes as soon as possible, as I was left to choose from a class selection that looked like a sale bin on the final day.  I did take Writing Poetry; a class I was extremely skeptical of, and not particularly looking forward to.  Even if you have never written, read or even have not found yourself interested in the past, as I had not before the class, I actually would recommend taking the class, solely because of the professor Clarinda Harriss.  She is a great teacher who made the class fun, and was happy as long as you tried, even if your poems had nothing to do with the assigned basic idea.  

I am now a Mass Communications major focusing on Journalism; writing is something I have enjoyed my entire life. I also plan on having a minor in photography, of which I am an avid enthusiast.  I have mostly done pictures of flowers and animals, as well as other nature shots, though I am really interested in portraiture and street photography, which I would like to do more of.  I'll post some of my personal favorites soon.  

I really like to paint when I have time; some of my favorite artists being Jean-Michel Basquiat, Jackson Pollock and Wassily Kandinsky. I'm also a very big fan of underground street artist Banksy, who if you have not heard of, I suggest taking a look.  I also love the styles of comic book artists Rick Griffin, Frank Miller and Robert Crumb.  I'm a big muscle car fan; I have a 1990 5.0 Mustang that wouldn't quite be called a diamond in the rough, but perhaps a rough diamond.  It's quick and loud, and has set off its' fair share of car alarms in the parking garages, which leaves me content for the moment.  

I was born in Philadelphia, and I root for the Ravens, but I'm an Eagles fan all the way.  All I know is that Kyle Boller can't lead a team, and if Donovan McNabb can stay healthy all season; the Eagles are always contenders.  I've also lived in Maryland and Atlanta, seeming to move about every five years, having lived in Maryland twice.  

Although this class seems like it may be a lot of work, I am looking forward to some of the assignments and skills we will be gaining.  Tangents aside, I'm not positive how to end this either, as many works are often felt unfinished by the author or artist.  So I suppose I'll just leave you with request and a promise, that you will keep reading and I will give you at least one of those Arsenio Hall "Things That Make You Go "Hmm"? moments. 

No comments: