Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Don't Judge A Book By The Cover....or sometimes even by the first 50 pages


Though it is slightly belated, as this list would have been more helpful last week during the sentence we were given due to the snow, I think it is still relevant, and one that should be perused. I recently started reading In Cold Blood by Truman Capote for Dr. Stacy Spaulding’s Literary Journalism class (My first edition copy is pictured here). It begins a little slow, and as wonderfully descriptive as Capote is, some of the sentences do run a little long. You may occasionally have to return to the original thought at the beginning of the sentence to remind you of the information he was giving. I’ve been told since elementary school that it is wrong to begin a sentence with a conjunction. I don’t always agree with that belief, as I feel it can add emphasis to a sentence and allow it to stand out. However, when there are four sentences in two paragraphs that begin with ‘and’ or ‘but’, it can become slightly distracting. I am not attempting to deter you from reading this novel; in fact, it is quite the opposite, but I do feel that it is something of which you should be warned. If you have yet to read the following books, add them to your list of necessities.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

On the Road by Jack Kerouac

One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest by Ken Kesey

Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger (Resist any assassination desires.)

Existentialism by Jean-Paul Sartre

Anything written by Friedrich Nietzsche

No comments: